Friday, July 19, 2013

Curriculums.....where to start?

When I started homeschooling Booger he was about 3. I would just sit with him on the floor and do puzzles and repeat letters and letter sounds etc. When he reached the age for kindergarten in our state the hubby and I decided to keep going with homeschooling. Thinking we would take it year by year. The first year I purchased different curriculum's,1 for math, 1 for reading, 1 science, 1 health,1 bible, 1 social studies/history. Adam and I worked together great for the first 2-3 months then it became a struggle and I decided to step back and reevaluate my approach. I was trying to re-create a school environment because that's what I was used to. I bought him a desk and everything. When I relaxed and let him lead me he was able to learn more.

The next year I decided to use a different curriculum that was a little more all inclusive. It included a full lesson plan book for science, social studies, geography, bible, art, and music. I only needed to add in language arts and math. I have enjoyed it. I would be lying if I said I haven't. And the kids have done well with it. But the kids and I like rabbit trails. I like rewriting the curriculum because I like to teach what the kids want to learn. Don't get me wrong there are some things that we HAVE to learn but if we spend a few weeks on something that should've taken a day or so there is nothing wrong with that. I want to let my children's interests drive us to learn more. So, here is the question? How to get more without spending a small fortune, or a large fortune for that matter. I mean really, curriculum is SUPER expensive.

This spring and summer I started thinking about what it would look like to write my own curriculum, to utilize the friends and free resources around me. Then I learned about other moms who do the same thing. One mom even makes her curriculum available to others for free online, I have taken a lot from her. I have just a few more days of writing and preparing and our first two months will be drafted. I say drafted because being part of the Crazy Criswell's means that plans will change and life will get a little hectic. And there will be some, okay a lot of rabbit trails. Wish me luck. Our 6th year of homeschooling starts in a little over 2 weeks!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment